History of the School

Old Palace is a site of amazing history stretching back to the 9th century. Not many schools can boast a classroom that was once Queen Elizabeth I’s bedroom.

Here is a brief history of Old Palace so you are able to appreciate our unique learning environment.

The site of Croydon Minster has been a place of learning and worship since 896 AD.

As for the School building itself, it was for centuries the summer palace of the Archbishops of Canterbury. It was one of ten places they maintained between Lambeth and Canterbury, each one a manageable day’s ride apart, and it is by far the best preserved.

It began life as a manor house, part wooden from the 12th century at least (the undercroft, now the staff room, is of that period), and stone from the 14th century.

The following century was when the core of today’s palace was built. The guardroom – once a reception room, now a library - dates from the time of Archbishop Thomas Arundel (1396-1414), and is one of the earliest uses of brick in Britain.

A few decades later Archbishop John Stafford built what is now one of the finest medieval great halls left in southern England. Under its high arched-brace roof, Henries VI and VII, Queens Mary and Elizabeth banqueted, each sitting on Stafford’s stone throne, part of which survives against the west wall. Elizabeth made numerous visits, most notably for seven days in July 1573. By this time the palace was, with a bit of pushing and shoving, able to accommodate all her courtiers and followers, plus “groomes of the privye chamber, physycyons, and wayghters”. Her bed, always travelling with her, was set down in what is now known as Queen Elizabeth’s room, a large 15th century first-floor space, with fine moulded ceiling joists. It was built by Archbishop John Morton, one of the wealthiest of all archbishops, and the man who created the original royal palace near Hatfield House.

There are other parts that fascinate (such as the Long Gallery, originally 16th century, but enclosed and glazed 300 years later), but none is such a cabinet of curiosities as the chapel. It dates from the 15th century, and was sufficiently altered two hundred years later to give, at first glance, every appearance of being built at that time. It houses a number of curios, the most outstanding of which, angled across the north-west corner, is a gallery pew in dark oak. It is reached either by a doorway on the first floor, or by a narrow little staircase from the chapel floor. Often referred to as ‘Queen Elizabeth’s Pew”, it was almost certainly built by William Laud, the archbishop executed during the Civil War. Beneath this is a Norman font, not original to Croydon, but a gift in Victorian times from St George’s Church, Southwark. Thus, in the chapel of this Croydon girls’ school, is the font where Charles Dickens had Little Dorrit christened.



Yet there is nothing more remarkable about the palace than its survival. By the mid-eighteenth century, their graces were finding it too damp, and a place where, as Croydon developed, the hoi poloi were getting uncomfortably close. So land a few miles to the south was bought, Addington Palace built, and the old premises abandoned. In 1780 it was sold off, and might then easily have been knocked down and a belching brewery put in its place. But it escaped demolition in exchange for the indignity of becoming, successively, a linen printers, bleaching works, and laundry. There is a 19th century engraving showing the Great Hall, where Queen Elizabeth once held court, reduced to a barn, complete with haycart, piles of brushwood, and a chicken coop.

Successive owners chivvied away a bit at the redundant palace’s ancient fabric, but did no great damage. Thus, when it came on the market again, in an era more likely to appreciate its connections, it was bought by the Duke of Newcastle, and given to the Sisters of the Church. By 1889, they had founded the school which prospers here today.

To visit and learn more about the history that has occured within the walls of the Palace, please go to